Friday, September 25, 2009

Good-Byes And Hellos

My mother left yesterday morning after living here with me (us) for 4 and a half weeks. She saw the worst of things and I assume that she will need some time to process everything she experienced here. But she found me roughly in the same shape that she left me and I guess that is good. Thank you for everything mom!
As a good news Angela came back yesterday as well. I am so very excited to have her back in my life after 10 days. This officially ends the nightmare that was my last two weeks. By the way, two weeks ago today was the last radiation session. I was told that the first 10 days to two weeks after would be the worst chapter of the treatment as all the additive effects would come to a peak. They were right. In retrospect I can say the the last couple of weeks was my own personal hell. I thought I was prepared but now I can say that I wasn't.
I am doing better now. I need less sleep during the day. I am actually up for a few hours and my mood is better as well. I still experience pain in my mouth but I am able to take small sips of liquid already. I am impatiently waiting for this to pass so I can eat and drink again. That is kind of the last reminder of my treatment side effects. I can feel a small difference in my recover almost every day now. My voice is also returning. A week ago I was only able to whisper but now I can speak almost normally.
Let's hope that things will move forward like this for the next few days.


Wendy Broadfoot said...

I have been checking every day to hear from you, and was so worried that you were in a bad place, and not wanting to share it with anyone---that worried me even more since you have been so open and honest from the beginning. Thanks for the update--it sounds encouraging--sad for you that your Mom had to leave, but happy that your other love is back home. Take Care and continue to feel better every day--thank heavens the worst is behind you.

Richard said...

Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah!!! So GREAT to hear from you again. As Wendy says, I've been checking every day, and you could probably hear my whoop all the way back to The Peg when I saw another posting on the blog..
Oh, my dear friend, I am SOOO happy that things are getting more positive and that Ange is back with you. Recovery, recovery, recovery and soon, you'll be chowing down cheesecake and chocolate without any thought of what has passed.
I am so WITH you right now and wish you the speediest of recoups!
With LOVE always - to both of you!!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Pal! The worst is over! Love, Verb

Anonymous said...

Or I guess I should spell my own name correctly. Love, VERN!

Daria said...

Glad to hear things are getting easier for you.

Wishing you all the best ...

gina said...

Wonderful to hear you in better spirits, Olaf, and I'm so glad Ange has joined you at home again. Enjoy the small steps forward each day.

Anonymous said...

good morning favourite brother.

welcomed mom back home yesterday and had her report a few more things. All in all I guess overwhelming. Im very happy to hear you are doing better everyday and I'm impatiently waiting for the results of the hell you went through.
I hope, once you are ready to eat, you will have an easy time picking the meal that will be the first after weeks. Choices will be endless ;) *hugs*