After leaving some messages, Dr. Leylek called me back and invited us to meet with him early afternoon. He explained to us that there is a discussion around the clinic between using the traditional treatment of radiation and chemo right away versus a newer method that suggests 2 months of heavy chemo followed by radiation.
The latter method has shown some advantages in a recent study and is favored by Dr. Maksymiak, the medical oncologist. It is, however too new to draw definite conclusions and therefore Dr. Leylek would favor the traditional method. In the end he points out that the decision would have to be made by myself. Both approaches are respectable and have, in his opinion, equal chances of success.
Great! I fuss for days when I have to buy a new pair of pants. How am I going to decide what treatment to choose that could potentially decide if I live or die?
Angela passed on some research data to Donna and another colleague to see what their opinion in the matter might be.
I told Cancer Care that I would have a decision by tomorrow.
A friend of ours emailed us a prayer a week ago that said: "God, please give Angela and Olaf the wisdom to make the right decisions..."
God, please do.