Friday, July 10, 2009

Thursday Appointment

Yesterday was not a great day.
Angela and I went to my appointment in the morning. We didn't really know what the plan for the day was, so I packed everything I needed for a full day of chemo again. First they needed to take some blood to check my levels and then we saw the doctor(s) at around 10:30. As we got there we were given a schedule that had me booked for my next chemo on Wednesday July 15-17. I wasn't happy about that and I made that clear to the scheduling nurse. I was supposed to have chemo every three weeks and that would have made it a month. They apologized and re-booked me for today (Friday). Both doctors commented about how good I looked. They were surprised that I actually gained weight and were encouraged by the fact that my pain was considerably less since the chemo. My blood levels also looked very good. So far things seemed to be moving along great. I, however, spend the rest of the afternoon worrying. Somehow all my concerns about the chemo not working came to a climax after the meeting and I feel into a bit of an emotional downward spiral. Angela very patiently tried to explain that their approach is correct and reasonable. After an afternoon of sleeping we went to the Winnipeg Folk Fest with friends and my mood improved greatly. I ended up having a wonderful time.

There was a short rain storm at the festival and when we surfaced from under the tent that gave us shelter, there was a giant and wonderful rainbow in the sky. After that kind of a day it felt like it was put there just for me...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm always encouraged and humbled by both your honesty and aggressive attitude toward fighting your cancer. Its going to be a proud moment when you can tell your first story about how you beat this thing!

gina said...

Rainbows are truly a sign of hope in my world. I'm glad you claimed one of them for yourself...and all the rest of us shared the other!

Anonymous said...

ich hab gestern auch einen riesigen Regenbogen gesehen. Es war der größte von mir bisher gesehene und er war genau halbrund. Auch das hab ich zum ersten Mal gesehen. Sonst waren es immernur Fragmente. Wer weiß, vielleicht stand das eine Ende direkt bei dir auf dem Folk Fest <3

Wendy Broadfoot said...

I check your blog every day and am also very humbled by your honest and open writings. Thank You for sharing!! I have no idea how I would be handling the same situation--I guess no one knows until they are in it, but we have a friend who has prostate cancer and the doctors are shocked at how well he is doing--his attitude is amazing as well, so hang in there and know that there are so many of us thinking of you.

Laura said...

I echo the above sentiments. It's so important to let your friends know not only when you are feeling positive and confident but also when you are feeling more blue.

And good for you for demanding the rebooking.

(weird coincidence - when I got up this morning I made my Facebook status...sunshine,lollipops and rainbows...must have been connecting with you)