Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Treatment Day 1


Well, here we go. Today was the big day: The start of the actual treatment we have been anticipating for a couple of months now. At 8:30 am I was given my first IV of fluids. After that they did a test radiation run in the radiation ward in the basement and I was sent back to the chemo ward to receive the chemo drug shortly after. It was explained to me that the drug is called 'Cisplatin' and is actually made of real platinum that is injected into my body. The good news is that my net worth went up a few dollars. At 1:00 pm I got my first radiation session. That was weird and cool at the same time. They bolted me to a table as predicted and a large UFO-shaped machine-head circled around me for about 20 minutes and irradiated the parts of my face that were carefully programmed into the computer system beforehand. This all happened while they blasted Beatles tunes through a stereo. I learned that one can only truly enjoy 'All you need is love','Hey Jude', 'Get Back', and 'They're gonna' crucify me' while having a plastic mask pushed over one's face. To summarize: A very unique and interesting day; Try everything once they say.
I was done there at about 2:00 and after taking a nap this afternoon I was able to work out in the evening. So far there are no side effects from the chemo that are noticeable. I will have my next radiation session tomorrow morning...and then 33 more after that. Let's blast this thing!

My brother-in-law Matthew emailed me another picture from the rainbow that he took during the Folk Festival. How very appropriate for today; Great timing Matt, thank you!

5 comments:

Clint said...

Good to hear it has all finally started. Take care and see you in 10 days buddy.

Laura said...

You sound so perky - so Olaf-like. zum Wohl. You continue to amaze.

Unknown said...

I tried to write a comment in here on your last post but it was rejected... something about sexual content I think (kidding).

I wanted to say a bunch of things and couldn't figure out how to word the sentences to avoid sounding painfully cheesy. I wrote and deleted, wrote and deleted until I realized I could sum it all up by saying that 'whatever you do you always manage to bring out the best in the people around you'. Still cheesy but bang on as far as what you continue to mean to me.

Now let's see if the widget translator can say the same thing in broken German! Sie bringen das Beste in allen uns heraus. Somehow that sounds better if I shout it out angrily.

Love you.

Richard said...

Still with you, my friend. Onward!!!
Love you!
Richard

Anonymous said...

Olaf - you must have a sense of relief knowing that you have started to (as you put it) blast this thing!!! So nice you two made it to the picnic. Sounds like you had a wonderful time in Montreal. Way to go! Love the rainbow! Beautiful. Hopefully see you Friday???? Take care my friend. Elaine and Leonard