Friday, August 21, 2009

Treatment Day 15

Today was one of the tougher days. I went to my radiation session as usual at 8:00 this morning. I felt tired and in pain but made it through without complaints. I went home and slept till noon. Angela and I were originally planning to go away for a couple of days but decided to stay home instead which proved to be the wiser choice. In the early afternoon I went to use the bathroom and threw up all over the floor and sink. I broke out in a sweat and became very dizzy. As I was crouching on the floor to clean up my puke I thought: "This is it. This is how I will die. They will find my passed out in my own vomit. Like a rock-star." But I lived, even though I felt very sick for the next couple of hours. At 5:00 we got a call from Cancer Care informing us that there was a mistake on the schedule and that I have to go for a second radiation session ASAP. So, I went. After the session I barely made it to the hospital washroom and threw up again. At that point Angela and I became concerned that I wasn't able to keep any fluids in my body (which is especially important after Chemo) and so we went to the Chemo ward and requested some IV fluids which the very helpfully gave me over about 2 hours. Now I'm back home and I am feeling beat.
Tomorrow is a new day...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Olaf, I love you and am so sorry you have to go thru this awful pain and sickness part of the journey. Know I am thinking of you and believe %100 in your strength and resolve to get thru this. To quote a line from Beauty..."you can do it master, I know you can"

Stay strong and keep up the battle.

Kevin

Wendy Broadfoot said...

I do so wish that I could take away the pain, the puke and the frustration of all of this. Each day gone, is another day closer to the end of all of this and you can then get on with your life.
There are so many praying for you----please know that.

Anonymous said...

bleib tapfer, ich weiß du schaffst das!!

Laura said...

This probably sounds useless and dumb but if there is anything...ANYTHING at all we can do - chicken soup...anything....please let us know. Do you want company? Do you want to be left alone? What is best?

Richard said...

From far away, man, I'm cleaning up with you! Wish I was closer, but know that you're in my thoughts constantly. The days pass and the time ahead holds the possibilities of health and wholeness. Keep on, my friend. You're amazing! I love you!
Richard

gina said...

I pray you enough sun to keep your attitude bright, no matter how gray the day may appear.
I pray you enough rain to appreciate the sun even more.
I pray you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive and everlasting.
I pray you enough pain so that even the smallest of joys in life may appear bigger.
I pray you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.
I pray you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.


And one more line from me...
I pray you enough courage to keep you facing the obstacles you encounter every day.

Unknown said...

You do not leave my thoughts.

I love you.

Daria said...

That is awful stuff ... I feel for you.

I hope you can get some strength back soon and feel better.